I try to conduct photo shoots in winter only in express format (20 minutes of shooting). And there are a number of reasons for this, the most serious of which is the likelihood of frostbite.
How to choose a location
In winter, I prefer to shoot quickly and at an active pace: we run, jump, wallow in the snow, drink hot tea, but even in this situation, I still prefer to go somewhere to warm up after the photo shoot.
Thus, the location for shooting is chosen so that there is some kind of cafe, shop, etc. nearby. In extreme cases, a car if the photo shoot takes place, for example, in the forest.
Examples of good locations might be:
- Christmas market;
- courtyard of the house (especially if it is a private house);
Recommendations for choosing clothes
- warm, natural, preferably light colors;
- fur coats, jackets, coats (preferably without patterns);
- knitted oversized sweaters;
- knitted skirts and trousers;
- straight pants are better than skinny ones;
- on the head — a hat, fur earmuffs or headband;
- under the main layer of clothing — thermal underwear or a T-shirt and leggings.
The most important thing is that in the chosen clothes you should be warm, comfortable and not be constrained in your movements.
Everything that can be associated with winter and New Year:
- garlands (from lights, flags, dried citruses);
- gifts in wrapping paper and with ribbons;
- string bags with tangerines;
- Christmas trees or fir branches;
- blankets and large scarves;
- fur earmuffs;
- headbands in the form of deer horns, Christmas trees, etc.;
- tea or coffee in cups;
What to take with you to the shoot
Be sure to take hot tea in a thermos with you! And for hands — gloves or mittens.
What NOT to do
Please DO NOT undress during winter shoots! No need to be photographed without outerwear, and even more so in a dress in the cold!
To catch some kind of unpleasant respiratory sore in this situation is to spit.
What to do with frostbite
At the first sign of frostbite, inform the photographer immediately! Then we act according to the following scheme: we finish shooting and go into the heat: into the car, to the shopping center, anywhere. We are looking for a coffee shop or cafe and go to come to ourselves there.
First of all, hands begin to freeze — we go to the toilet and put our hands first under cool water, then under hot water. Do not immediately go under hot — it will hurt the skin.
Signs of severe frostbite:
- sudden onset of fever;
- heavy sweating;
- vision loss;
- fingers stop moving and feel pain.
If you notice something similar in yourself, we immediately stop shooting and go into the heat. In this state, you need to take off your outer clothing, drink water and lie down or sit for about an hour. Usually it becomes easier after 15-20 minutes, but weakness in the body may be observed for some time. This condition will pass in a few hours.
If none of the above recommendations helps (severe stiffness of the limbs, for example), we quickly call an ambulance! There is no time for photographs anymore — the question is about your health and saving your life.